Welcome back to another school year to all of the students, their families and our staff. We would like to extend a special welcome to our new Kindergarten students and their families, as well as any new students to our school. We look forward to working with you all and doing our best to ensure that it will be a positive and successful year for you all. Our admin team is officially back and we are working hard preparing for opening day.
We are a K-3 school with four classes at each grade level and a group of very talented and dedicated educators. Our overall goal is to ensure that our students experience great success in a safe, warm and welcoming environment.
We are very fortunate to continue to be part of the Alberta Education School Nutrition Program. Our students receive a free daily nutritious and delicious hot lunch that follows the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth.
Our main goals at Vera M. Welsh School is to ensure that all of our students enjoy success in a safe, caring and fun environment. We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities.
Our School and District Priorities for the Three-Year Education Plan are:
- To improve the mental health and wellness of students;
- To improve the numeracy skills of students;
- To improve the literacy skills of our students.
To ensure that we have a great year, please help us by:
- Reading at home with your child as often as possible - literacy is the key to their success.
- Connecting math to daily life - Ask your child to estimate grocery bills, change, tax, tips, measurements, travelling distances and times, and the quantity of paint or carpet needed for a room. Talk about the ways in which you use mathematics in your job and daily life, and about mathematics in the newspaper (sports statistics, stock prices, math puzzles, graphs). Seize every opportunity to calculate mentally and talk about the process involved.
- Ensuring that your child gets enough sleep - sleep is vital to their well being.
- Excellent attendance is really important for student success. If your child will be away due to an appointment or illness, please call and let your child’s teacher or the office know (780) 623-4672. Or try using the new SafeArrival system to electronically report absences (please see the email from NLPS Communications for more info).
- Communicate with your child's teacher regularly to ensure that you are aware of the events happening at school.
Class supply lists can be found on our website or use the following link and can be purchased from a variety of local retailers. https://www.veramwelshschool.ca/home/news/post/2018-2019-school-supply-lists
On behalf of the Vera M. Welsh Elementary School staff, I wish you all an enjoyable 2019-20220 school year!
Vera M. Welsh Elementary School